Submental fullness, also known as a “Double Chin,” is a common condition that affects both men and women. It can make a person look heavier and older than they actually are and detract from the overall aesthetic balance of their appearance. Common factors that may contribute to this discrete collection of fat in the neck area include:
- Genetics: It is in your DNA. You may be prone to fat in this area, and fat may accumulate here even with proper diet and exercise.
- Weight gain: Increases in weight can result in increased fat in this area.
- Aging: Fat can accumulate in this area as we age. In addition, as the skin becomes more loose, it cannot support the tissue as efficiently, leading to a fuller look to the area.
According to a 2015 survey conducted by the American Society for Dermatologic Surgery, 67% of consumers are bothered by submental fullness.
What can be done to treat this area?
Traditionally, the area is treated surgically with focal liposuction or by directly excising the fat during a facelift or necklift surgery. These are very effective and efficient modes of treatment, with the facelift or necklift having the added benefit of tightening muscular structures and removing excess skin from the neck area. There are times when surgery is not an option for patients. Now there is a nonsurgical alternative to remove submental fullness.
KYBELLA™ is the first and only FDA-approved nonsurgical treatment that contours and improves the appearance of submental fullness
- Is a nonsurgical, 15- to 20-minute in-office treatment session
- Is customized to help you achieve your treatment goals
- Destroys fat cells when injected into the fat beneath your chin. Retreatment is not expected.
KYBELLA™ is a naturally-occurring molecule in the body (deoxycholic acid) that aids in the breakdown and absorption of dietary fat. When injected into the fat beneath your chin, KYBELLA™
causes the destruction of fat cells. Once destroyed,
those cells cannot store or accumulate fat.
KYBELLA™ may be right for you if:
- You’re bothered by submental fullness
- Surgery is not an option for you
- You feel the condition makes you look older or heavier than you actually are
- You eat well and exercise, but submental fullness does not go away